Alison has been saving money for over a year from her allowance in a little heart shaped box that is labeled "Help those with Autism/mission travel for autism" She has sent out flyers to some of our neighbors to do chores around their house for pennies on the dollar but nobody hired her. She has thought of numerous ways to try and come up with more money for the cause but nothing has panned out UNTIL.... she thought of having a lemonade stand and all the proceeds to go towards her autism box. At the beginning of November our community held its annual garage sale. There is usually a huge turnout and trying to leave your house and/or the neighborhood is difficult from all the traffic. My parents gave the kids an actual lemonade stand a few years back and sadly I think I have only let them do it once and Austin and Mattie don't even remember that. So, Ali recruited Mattie and Austin (who really wasn't that much help) and invited her friend Lauren to help her with crowd control and maintenance. They did the works.. donuts and coffee for the morning (they sold 6 dozen donuts). Chips, hot dogs, soft drinks, and water for lunch. Jon lost count at over 80 hot dogs, we ran out of 10 cases of soft drinks and 3 cases of water. They were busier than my garage sale. They made over $250 for Autism and that is after they paid me back for all the supplies. These girls didn't even ask to keep a penny so I gave them some money from the garage sale to reward them for their time and efforts. They were very excited. I had posted it on our neighborhood community board and another family in our neighborhood has a son that is non-verbal autistic and a 6 year old daughter. I can't even imagine what they go through this disease is terrible but at least I have a child that is verbal and it is hard enough. It breaks my heart to see what these families and kids go through on a daily basis. Anyway, they brought their entire family over for lunch and their daughter helped the girls for a bit. It was awesome to meet them and so inspiring for all of us. Kudos, girls! I am so proud of you.
Tuesday, December 30, 2008
Flashback to November - Lemonade Stand for Autism
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comments:
That is so awesome! What a great lesson in serving others!
Post a Comment