Friday, December 14, 2007

Africa

Austin is obsessed with Africa. For a couple months now he talks about why and how come they don't have any food and the kids don't have toys. He has lots of questions. He wants to send them his toys and when he doesn't eat all his food we have to save it and can't throw it away because we need to send it to Africa. Well..... today we went somewhere to take some dinner for a person that was involved in a bad car wreck. It was in a lot different neighborhood from ours. I didn't think twice about this but when we were leaving the neighborhood Austin asks, "Mom, what is this place? I know it is not Africa?" WOW! It never occurred to me that he would realize his surroundings. I then realized that my children have not been exposed to anything other than upper middle class. Fortunate for them, in a way, but sad in another. We talked about our family being fortunate with money that God gave us. He then wanted to know if God didn't love the people in these houses as much as us? This brought on an entire other discussion. It was an awesome discussion and opened up both our eyes!

A little later about 20 mins we were almost home and Austin says, "Mom, do I have to live in my own house when I am an adult?" Yes, Austin, absolutely. "No, I am not going to do that!" Well, Austin where are you going to live "The same place I always lived when I am a kid!" Well, Austin what happens when you get married and have a wife? Where will you live then? "AFRICA!"

0 comments: