Thursday, April 3, 2008

I might be in over my head!!

Okay, I signed for an online class (love those) that was quite expensive compared to other things I have done online. I thought long and hard about it and decided it was a step I needed to take. What I want to say first is that there was a Readiness Quiz that you had to take before you could sign up. I will be honest in saying that, umm, I really didn't pass it! But, I only missed one question so I thought how big of a deal could that be, right!?!? Ummm, today is the first day of class and I am thinking it might have been a big deal!!!!! I am so far out of my league it isn't even funny. However, I have paid quite a bit of money for this experience and I am going to trudge ahead. Oh, what class is it? It is a VERY ADVANCED photography class taught by Allison Tyler Jones. Take a look at her stuff she is Awesome! http://www.atjphoto.com/ I absolutely love to take pictures and lots of them. I don't mean just snapshots (love those too) but I want to be able to take pictures that have a statement, tell a story, show LIFE! I just can't seem to get them to that level. This class is supposed to do that. But uh oh I am already supposed to be comfortable using my Digital SLR camera on ONLY MANUAL MODE! Ugh! Today, I am doing a crash course on Camera settings 101 and boy I hope it sinks in or I am sunk! I am dreading that I have to post photos for all to see in this class and even more dreading that some of them are going to be critiqued by Allison her self. Sigh! Big challenge ahead!

They asked us to pinpoint one thing we wanted to accomplish (as if I don't have 100's that fit this category) and this was mine: I want to be able to capture my child with autism with that far away look on his face, completely alone but surrounded by people. This happens all the time when we are out at things socially. There are times that Austin is so far removed from his surroundings and yet there are lots of people around him. I want to focus in on his facial expression yet show the people busy doing other things around him. I hope this makes sense. I have this photo in my head and have for a long time now. I have tried to capture it but all my pictures just don't seem to match up to what is in my head. So that is my goal.

To all of you, I am probably going to be calling you to see if I can borrow your family or just your kids to practice on!!!

1 comments:

Kris said...

I am so proud of you! Keep pushing forward..if all else fails Take a picture of Maddie performing a hemotoma surgery on a dog:)