Austin has been doing so well lately that sometimes I forget that things are not all rosy. Last night was one of those nights. Austin was in full autistic mode from when he stepped off the bus. His friends called for him to come play outside as it was almost 80 degrees. I thought better of it at the time but let him because he needs as much social as he can get. He threw a fit but then wanted to go. Played for about an hour very well with two other boys and then I get the phone call. Amy, Austin is upset and is running down the street we think he is coming home but can't catch him. (he is on the next street over from us) I walk outside and there he is, angry looking and coming home on the sidewalk. There were several families between us, I still was on the phone as I started down the walk and all of the sudden he took off across the road without looking for cars. (mind you I live on a pretty busy street, while there are cul de sacs on the sides our street is open and the cars drive too fast) Luckily, nobody was coming down the rode but I took off running after him. When he got to the side of the road he threw him self on the ground and starting rocking and screaming. I went and told him I couldn't help him without his words so I got something along the lines of basketball and nobody passing him the ball. Okay, now lets get home so we can talk about running across the street (yeah right). It took me about 25 mins to get him home and I pulled him most of the way while he was yelling at me that he didn't want to walk with his family and his family was not to touch him and so forth. He threw himself down at least 10 times in the distance of three houses. Of course, most of the neighborhood was out for this display and to hear him. I just keep going like I don't even see him. We get into the house and he immediately curls up and is rocking and screaming (not crying, just screaming and high pitched too). I decide at this point there isn't much I can do and he won't let me touch him. Not any reasoning going on with him so I leave him to go call his Dad. Even more lucky for me, Dad was home early and in the garage. When I went out to tell him what had happened and asked for help getting him calmed down we came back in the house and couldn't find Austin. He had went upstairs and hid and the kid is the quietest kid around and boy can he hide. We finally found him and had a talk with him about running across the road first and then about how we can play with our friends. He was upset because he said he did try to voice that he wanted them to pass him the ball and they didn't listen. Who knows but that is an improvement. We talked to him about what to do in that situation and that he can NEVER run off down the road he needs to find the adults. (which there were several outside that he knew) I went to get the girls (an hour and half later as they were still on the next street) and asked him to come along to apologize to his friend but he was not up for that but decided to write a note. He did a GREAT job on it.
I am sorree like Micll (he wanted to sound this out on his own and write it) WOOHOO!!! In the midst of all of it this is a huge milestone. I am sorry and I like Mitchell! We even knew what it meant. WOOHOO again!!!
After dinner Austin had basketball practice and I warned Jon to check his patience level because it was likely not going to be a great one. They both came home frustrated and worn out soooo we had some more screaming and rocking but this time he let me hold him tightly until he could calm down and go to bed.
Yes God, I am very thankful that all of our days have not been like this one, lately and pray that they will continue to grow further apart. Amen
Wednesday, February 6, 2008
Pure Autistic Evening
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



0 comments:
Post a Comment